Monday 31 March 2008

Pandora's Gift (Part 1)

"I thought I might find you here."

The girl turned, suspicious. I smiled, trying to waylay her fears, but she didn't relax at all. I sighed, inwardly. This may not be as easy as I'd hoped.

She looked younger than I knew she was, looked no more than in her mid 20s. Dyed black hair pulled back in a clip, clumsily. A Sandman t-shirt and jeans. An old scuffed pair of doc martins.

"Well, you look the part, anyway," I said.

She raised an eyebrow. "What part is that?"

I ignored her question, and took a seat next to her on the dock. She had been looking out over the harbour, something I had learnt she did often these days. Our grapevine is extensive; if you really want to find one of us, you pretty much always can. Eventually. She had taken me a while though.

She was still looking at me, bemused. Her emerald eyes betrayed her age. Her real age, that is. I wondered how any human could look at her, and not feel the anger and guilt that hid behind them

"I've been looking for you."

She sighed. "OK. I'll play. Which one are you? You can't be Aphrodite, cos she's always... well.. pretty. I'm pretty sure you're not Artemis. You'd have found me faster. So, I ask myself. Which God goes in the guise of a bag lady?"

I chuckled. "The one who is most seldom recognised. And found in strange places. The one that would come to Pandora to help her 'learn her place'."

That eyebrow raise again.

"'Wisdom arises in the unexpected'."

"Ah." She looked out over the water again. "Tough gig."

"Do you think?"

"Not so much space for you in this day and age."

"There never was, dear. But I am not here for the mortals today."

"You're going to teach me my place. I got it. Curiousity killed the cat. Women can't be trusted. Believe me, I got the memo. Loud. And. Clear."

"But you didn't. And neither did many of the mortals who tell your story."

She mumbled something under her breath.

"What was that?"

She looked straight into my eyes.

"I said, They never get it right, anyway."











Next



**Thus begins the second story of my little Greek Myth project. I hope you enjoy this one as much as many of you seemed to have enjoyed the last. I have decided, for now, to keep things simple. For each donation I recieve, I will post a poem dedicated to the sponsor (it will be person appropriate depending on how well I know the person). Also, all sponsors are able to suggest a myth they'd like to see me write about, if they want to. (To the one person who has sponsored already: feel free to do this whenever and if you wish.) Also, I present an option to sponsors that I will place a links bar on the sidebar of this blog with your name (if you want), and a link to your (or any other you wish) website. Again, to the person who sponsored last week, let me know if you want to use this. Otherwise, I have started the third story, and am well into it. But for now, enjoy Pandora. :) **

No comments: