Monday 24 March 2008

Eternity Touch (Part 10)

===
Click here to start at the beginning.
===


It was strange to see him again, after all those centuries. I think that what happened between us might have been love, had we been mortals. He was silent for a long moment when I arrived.

"Hello Zeus."

He nodded a greeting. "Demeter."

"It has been a long time."

"Indeed."

There was a long silence. Then he spoke, his voice carefully even.

"You know why you are here."

"I know Hades has made... a request."

"He wishes your daughter to be made immortal."

I nodded, unable to speak. I hated that once again the fate of my daughter lay in those bitter angry hands. Zeus shook his head gently at me.

"This has gone on for a long time."

"Yes, Zeus." I tried to keep the anger out of my voice.

"Perhaps too long now."

"Yes." Of course too long, I thought. It was too long already after the first time.

"You understand that I was much angered."

This time I could not even muster a response.

He sighed. "But nevertheless, perhaps I was a little hasty."

Perhaps indeed! And it took him so many centuries to arrive at this conclusion, so much pain. So many times...

"So I will grant Hades' request."

I stiffened. "What does she think of this?"

"She thinks she has no say in the matter. And to be fair, your daughter is a bright girl. She doesn't really."

I had to ask. "Why grant his request Zeus? Why now, after all this time?''

"Because I like her, Demeter. Because I think this has gone on long enough." He paused, and I was suddenly scared. "Because Hades must learn that there is a limit to what he can take for himself."

I knew there was a catch. Suddenly, with the certainty of a mother, and I had to ask, though I dreaded the answer.

"What is the condition, Zeus?"

He smiled, a cold hard smile. "You know me well, still, Demeter. Yes, there is a condition. She will be immortal. But the curse is lifted. She must choose her place. The world, or the Underworld. Not both. She may have the next six months there to decide, and then I will have an answer from her."









Next

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

:) keep up the truly awesome work belgatherial