Wednesday 26 March 2008

Eternity Touch (Part 12)

===
Click here to start at the beginning.
===

I was terrified. The four of us in a bare room. A table and four chairs. She stood, shaky, but calm, as one who has made a decision after much time. I had no idea what she would say. I had spent the last six months playing it out in my mind, trying to guess her decision. I would think that she would pick the world, but then I would think of the hold Hades had over her, and would immediately second guess myself, and in the end be forced to admit that I quite simply could not predict my daughter.

"Persephone." Zeus used that name as if it were a title.

She looked him in the eyes, direct, unflinching.

"Zeus."

"You have decided." It was not a question. It was a command.

"I have."

He inclined his head for her to continue.

She glanced across at Hades. He was not looking at her, but was fiercely examining his hands stretched out on the table. She looked at me. I tried to smile, but was certain that it was a weak attempt. Then she looked at Zeus again.

"You have cursed me worse than I was before." Her tone was factual, with no accusation. "I must choose a life without the world, or one without…" Her eyes flashed across to Hades, who still would not look at her. She could not finish the sentence. She swallowed, and continued. "I have no choice but to accept it. And I have decided. I choose the world."

I didn’t recognize the small sound of joy as coming from myself. I closed my eyes in relief. Looked up at my daughter. She was looking at Hades. His hands were clenched now. A small drop of blood appeared on the table below one of them. I barely heard Zeus' response.

"So be it."

#

I see him from time to time. But it is not enough. It is always like that first time. Suddenly there as I walk down a street. Jeans and a t-shirt. But he never touches me. I got used to the longing. I have even become able to control it. But after his first visit it came back so strongly, that I told him he wasn't to touch me any more. I long for his touch, when I am with him. I guess it is like a drug. I can't give in to the desire - the price is too high. And in the absence of the physical contact, we have become friends. It is strange to think of, but I believe he really does miss me.

I catch my mother watching me from time to time. As if she is checking to make sure I am not aging. She knows when I have seen Hades. And although she says nothing, I think she resents it. We are not as close as we once were.

I am getting used to it. The span of time ahead of me scares me when I allow myself to think of it. I still can't comprehend the true meaning of eternity. No time limits. No means of escape. But most of the time I don’t think of it. Just keep moving.

Forever is a fearful word. But I imagine I will get used to it. It will take time. But I have plenty of that.


---END---











No comments: