Thursday 13 March 2008

Eternity Touch (Part 2)

===
Click here to start at the beginning.
===


She wasn't at all as I had imagined her. She was supposed to be quiet and submissive and very feminine. Instead she was talkative, much too talkative for my liking, and she spoke to me in a manner that suggested that I was rather below her. As if she was doing me a favour by allowing me to converse with her. She didn't look the part either - this little girl with her mousy hair all bunched up at the back of her head, and a ragged fringe hanging too long in her eyes. I even, for a moment, wondered if I had been mistaken. However, the moment I touched her I could tell that there was no error. I could feel her blood beneath her skin, and read everything in it.

She didn't resist at first, which made the journey easy. That too surprised me. Usually they yell and scream and struggle and make it all very unpleasant. It wasn't until we had arrived that she responded at all. And then it was in a manner very different to what I was used to.

"Jesus fucking Christ! What was that?" she said.

"You’re rather foul-mouthed for a young lady," I responded.

She snorted. "Thanks, I’ll keep that in mind."

I watched her reactions carefully. This one was different to the others, and that made her unpredictable, and I don’t like unpredictable. I cursed the god who had given mortals their free will and made them impossible for us to read accurately. She looked around slowly, and walked away from me slightly. Then she turned and regarded me from beneath that unsightly fringe.

"OK. You've got me. How'd you do that? And where are we now?"

I was silent for a moment. Then I stepped closer. She stepped back quickly, eyeing me suspiciously.

"No, we're here now," I assured her. "I'm not taking you anywhere else."

"Right." She was being very cautious. "So where is here?"

Again, I paused. This is always the worst part. When they realize where they are.

"Here. Hell. Hades." I shrugged. "Whatever name you choose to give it."

I waited for the screaming, the sobs, the usual hysterics. They never came. She was looking at me with a look of skepticism, which slowly ebbed into disbelief. Then she started laughing. I was slightly taken aback.

"What, is that some kind of melodramatic, Goth-kidnapper, classics student joke?" she said, when her laughing subsided. "Because I tell you, it's a bit of a cliché. I'm no Persephone, my dear!"

"Actually, my love," I replied, "that’s exactly what you are."











Next

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Belgatherial

Interesting story, I'm definitly keen to see more. I particularly like the descriptive way you create the world.

Keep it up :)

superphreak said...

I agree :)

i am getting hooked

ww :)

Unknown said...

Thanks. :)