Friday 14 March 2008

Eternity touch (Part 3)

===
Click here to start at the beginning.
===



Of course I knew when he took her. A mother does. I felt her go. Also, I had been expecting it. It's the hardest thing for a mother to accept - that your child can be in danger, that you can know it will happen, but you can't predict when, that you can't tell her, and that, when it comes down to it, no matter how you try, no matter what you do, you can't do a thing to stop it. But I knew when he took her, and maybe that's something.

I was sitting drinking tea with some society type women. Playing the role to the hilt. And it came - that rush of cold, that absolute certain knowledge I had been dreading. It was all I could do not to rush out immediately. But I knew that there was nothing I could do right at that moment. And more to the point, that it would play itself out again, this thing I hated and dreaded each time.

I made my apologies - feigned illness I suspect (I never really remember the moments immediately after that cold dreadful certain one) - and got home before it hit. After so many centuries you'd think it would get easier, but it doesn't. That wave of despair, so encompassing. So horrible. I had only just closed the door when I sank to the floor sobbing. It's strange, there is always a part of my mind that knows this is a playing out of a fated hurt, and I always know that it will pass, but it is so profound - I can't explain it in mortal terms. You couldn't understand. It fills everything. And all I can do is just wait for it to pass…

#

And suddenly, months before it should have arrived, the snow began to fall.











Next

No comments: