Friday 4 April 2008

Pandora's Gift (Part 4)

===
Click here to start at the beginning.
===

It had all gone fairly smoothly, and according to plan. Epimetheus was smitten. But, as much as Pandora wheedled and begged for him to let her peak into the box, it wasn't happening. Epimetheus was smitten, yes, but he wasn't stupid. Prometheus had told him not to open it, and that was good enough for him. No matter how Pandora fluttered her eyelashes, or sulked or pouted, he wasn't budging.

It was just as she was getting disheartened and frustrated, and ready to give up that Hephaestus went to see her. He found her sitting in the castle gardens, looking particularly downhearted and lost.

"Hi, lass," he said.

She grunted a pre-occupied greeting.

"You look down."

She sighed. "I can't do it, Heph. He's not going to give in. And..."

He sat down beside her. "This is me. What's worrying you?"

"I'm just..."

She glanced involuntarily at the sky.

Hephaestus chuckled, deep and rolling. "Don't worry. He's busy. There's a nymph in Crete he's gone to visit. He's not paying attention."

"It's just that... I am not sure it's right." She looked across at him, her brow knit. "I feel like... I mean I know it's fate and everything. It was all explained. But.. I don't... feel good about it." She threw up her hands in a gesture of frustration. "I can't explain."

"I know just what you mean."

"You do?"

He nodded. "But I can't explain it, either."

She raised an eyebrow (a habit which centuries would not overcome). "Can't, or won't?"

He sighed. "Not worth my job, kid. And, let's face it, no one else can do it." He smiled, trying to lighten the moment, but she wasn't having any of it.

"Heph. You... You're essentially my father. You owe it to me to help."

"Actually, I don't. But.. Look, it's something mortals have to figure out for themselves."

"But I'm not..."

"I know. Essentially you are not a mortal because you were never born. But you share their potentialities. Their possibilities. Even Zeus doesn't understand them all. But I do, because of... well, I guess because of the fire I made you from. So, in character, you are mortal enough."

"So... there is some potential I'm not using. Something which would enable me to get Epimetheus to open that blasted box?"

"Well, to get it open anyway. But it's more than just that."

"You're speaking in riddles, and I hate it. You gods! It's always these double meanings and roundabout ways of getting to things. After all, if Zeus wants the box open, why doesn't he just open it?"

"Why, indeed?"

she stopped suddenly. Looked at him with wide eyes. "He can't!"

Hephaestus said nothing.

"Am I right? He can't open it. I guess it has to be a mortal who opens it. That's why Epimetheus has to. That's why I can't just..."

She stopped as another wave of understanding hit her.

"But... I might be able to. You just said I was mortal in character. I've never tried because I was told to get him to do it. But why can't I just open it? I could stop manipulating Epimetheus, because believe me, I don't enjoy that. It would solve the problem, wouldn't it? The box would be open, Zeus would be pleased. No foul? Right?"

She paused as she noticed the look on his face. He was smiling, but something in his smile scared her. He looked so sad.

"What is it?"

"Well. Nothing you've said is wrong."

"But, you don't look happy. I thought you wanted it open? I thought it was a good thing."

"Why do you want it open, Pandora?"

"Well, because it's meant to be. I mean, Zeus said..."

Hephaestus snorted.

"What? He said it was part of the plan. That it needed to be opened, and I was to get Epimetheus to open it."

"That's it? Because Zeus says so?"

"Well, he is kinda the boss. Surely he knows what he's doing? And isn't it all fated anyway?"

"Firstly, it's quite an assumption to think he knows what he's doing. And secondly, if it's all so fated, why does he need you?"

As soon as the words were out of his mouth, he clamped a hand over it convulsively. "I mean... um..."

But it was too late. Pandora's eyes were wide with understanding. When she spoke her voice had changed. It sounded less like a frustrated girl, and more like the strong, smart woman he had created.

"It isn't, is it? Fated. We have..."

There wasn't even a word for it back then in the mortal world. Fate was the-way-it-is. Hephaestus, figuring he'd done the damage with the concept already, gave her the word.

"Choice."









Next

No comments: